Thursday, October 28

:
Thurs - Oct 28 -

TV -- HOT OR NOT ???

Issandr El Amrani reports some disaffection rumbling around the Al Hurra TV channel where *...most of the staff are Lebanese Maronites who come from the MBC channel in Lebanon, which was closed by the authorities for being critical of Syria... They also have a tendency to promote Arab and Arab-American reporters who have a history in Arab Christian activist movements, not only Maronite but Coptic too...*

I found his comments illuminating, but a bit
puzzling, too.

First, it's interesting that it turned out to be a
Christian station.

But second, what's wrong with that? Why can't the Christian Arabs have a TV station, too? I mean, what's the problem with that? I guess I just don't get it.

The classic solution is: if you don't like what a station is presenting, switch the dial to another station you prefer.

Now, here's the kicker: When I first heard the name Al Hurra or Free Spirit, I expected that maybe they were going to be the new Gay TV channel for the Middle East. Was I so wrong? Yeah, obviously, I was. LOL !


:: The Arabist Network - TV agit-prop ::

...