Monday, December 3

:
MORNING RADIO MELTDOWN (2#) -

# Curtis and Kuby was a successful bicker team in the morning drivetime slot in the New York City Metro area for almost a decade.

New corporate ownership arrived recently and ended the show's run. Their show was replaced with Don Imus.

Most listeners are acutely aware of
the following fact from David Hinkley:

"Curtis and Kuby regularly had more
listeners than Imus when Imus was on WFAN."

Although I have moved outside the C&K listening area, I am deeply saddened by these events.

So much so, that I spent much of last night catching up with the background of this situation on the Radio Message Board from which I learned that the radio station's new owner fired Kuby a month before the end of the show's run. I am appalled at how shabbily the new owner treated Ron Kuby. As a former listener, I often didn't agree with either Curtis or Kuby, but I don't think that Kuby should have been discharged in this utterly tacky way. I'm quite confident that Curtis must have had some non-compete clause in his contract, making this abuse of Kuby absolutely gratuitous.

Meanwhile, the return of Imus is being turned into a distasteful industry. I understand that Barbara Walters is scheduled to interview him. She's really scraping the bottom of the barrel with this one, in my opinion.

# So, it was the first day out of the gate this morning for Imus... and what has it produced thus far? Anti-semitism.

His new sidekick is an African-American woman named Karith Foster. And this is her idea of a joke:

Despite her Texas roots, "I'm really a Jewish girl from Long Island trapped in this body, which technically makes me a JA-AP [Jewish African-American Princess]," she jokes on her Web site.

"So it's not 'talk to the hand,' but 'talk to the manicure.''


Just for the record: I dress mostly from LL Bean and I don't get any manicures. And I'm not laughing.

I am offended and disgusted that I still have to put up with this kind of obnoxious crap in the 21st Century.

The radio station's new owner replaced an entertaining, educational and worthwhile show with a cranky sourpuss and his crew who made their debut already spewing anti-semitism.

The Curtis and Kuby bicker team was valuable for numerous reasons, not the least of which was that they provided a model for listeners demonstrating that people can disagree without killing each other. In an era when the public discourse has become increasingly pervaded by incivility, it will be sorely missed.

...