Thursday, November 12

Havana's Cyber Sea Wall -

Ted Henken, a professor at Baruch College is engaged in an academic study of the Cuban Blogosphere's development and its potential social implications, according to a Tuesday article in The Miami Herald written by Juan O Tamayo.

No link to the article here because the newspaper's management now requires registration to read it online.

I received a couple of queries
on Wednesday, including this one:

Do you think Yoani Sanchez is a double agent?

-- Answer: No, I don't think so.

The term "agent" does not seem applicable here because it implies the involvement of some government, which doesn't seem to be the case here.

What do we know, so far, about her circumstances? I'm not an expert on her writings and certainly couldn't annotate them, but, I believe, she has indicated that she lived in Germany or Switzerland for a while and has personal friends in Europe. Some of her friends have been helping her publish her blog. For a while it was on a German server, I believe, and may still be hosted by Germans.

It appears this is a case in which private citizens
are engaged in this project: to keep her blog afloat.

While it is true that in the past I have participated with my German contemporaries in some projects supporting Human Rights, I do not know these particular Germans who are engaged in this particular project. But I do sympathize with it.

Raul Castro is going to have to accept something: there are 6 billion people on this planet and he cannot control all of them. There is a group of Germans who want to read Yoani's Blog, and tough cookies if Raul doesn't like that.

:: More details about Yoani's
recent incident from the French Press.

...