Thursday, November 8

Knocked Out of Top Spot -

Broward County FL has just experienced a major upset in its power structure with the ouster of Al Lamberti from the office of Sheriff.

The BSO is probably the largest such office in this country and can have a significant impact on the quality of life here.

Since I moved down to South Florida this time, I have become concerned about the organization's apparent drift into the direction of the kind of gendarmerie we would more likely associate with a foreign banana republic.

Longtime residents in the county have told me that this seemed to have started with the Cuban Nick Navarro. I don't know because I wasn't living down here during Navarro's tenure as sheriff.

*  *  *  *  *  *  *

John Geraci pays tribute to Fort Lauderdale sleuth Travis McGee who lives on a houseboat called the Busted Flush.

...