Saturday, April 26

:
MR CLEAVER APPEALS -
Meredith Kercher Murder Case -


NB: An afterthought was added to this entry.

Frank at Perugia Shock blog has posted his colloquial reconstruction of the Italian Supreme Court's response to Raffaele Sollecito's appeal to be freed in advance of the upcoming trial. The Court rejected his appeal.

To clarify, it's my impression that the question before the Court was a narrow question: cut him loose or not? They were not evaluating the guilt or innocence of the suspects or the validity of the evidence against them.

It appears to me that the Court preferred to err on the side of caution. Although it may be unspoken in their written decision, the issue of Public Safety has to be among their concerns. And Sollecito, after all, is a kid who posed for a photo as a maniac with a meat cleaver and such. If there is any possibility that these suspects could cause trouble at large, this Court decided not to take that chance. I think I agree with their decision out of my concern for Public Safety.

Two topics in the contents drew my attention: the athletic shoe print and the court's impression that Sollecito has a weak character with Knox being the dominant partner
of the duo.

Again, much thanks to Frank.

+ Upon further reflection, I think I need to parse this issue for some: this higher court was ruling on a point of Law. Was the Law followed appropriately and faithfully in this case? The Court was ruling on this technical issue, in essence. The Court ruled that the Law was being followed and that detention was justified based on the established Law. I hope this helps.

:: Perugia Shock perma ::

...