Sunday, September 17

:
Su Sept 17 -

B ON B: PART 2 -
A Good Run -

I was a big fan of a magazine called Y.I.L., which I faithfully purchased on dead trees almost every month. In theory, competition is supposed to improve the contenders; but, in practice, what often happens here in the U.S. is that the second one which comes along completely crushes and destroys the first one which already exists. And that's what happened to YIL. It chief rival and competitor was Wired. Logic would suggest that I would turn to the surviving magazine, but that's just theory. In actual practice, I don't read Wired regularly on paper or even online. It just doesn't interest me in general. Once in while, when someone posts a link to a specific story, I may go over there and read it. Otherwise, it's outside my usual browsing circuit. I thought the other magazine was a hundred times better. It was nice while it lasted.

Today comes an announcement of the end of another publication: the online magazine called Carnival of the Vanities. It had a good run, too.

Carnival of the Vanities is closing for lack of interest.

The four year edition was the final test. If a heavily promoted, major landmark in the life of a historic, hugely influential blogospheric institution can’t get links or traffic - not to malign those who did come through for us, thanks! - and not even from many people with a stake, then there is no hope for it week to week.

:: Via James Joyner ::

* * * * * * * * * * * *
What happened to CoV? Well, for my part, I lost track of it. For a while, it didn't seem to have an anchor or home anywhere and it became complicated to try to find it. I liked it and contributed to it sometimes... until I lost it.

Who even knew that eventually it got its own constant address?

But, voila! Here it is:

:: C of V Homebase ::

Too bad it's probably too late.
...